When it comes to a divorce proceeding, what the court decides must be followed. While it is possible to appeal the decision, you will need to follow court orders until the appeal has been considered and accepted or denied. Furthermore, while it is possible to have modifications to child support, alimony and child custody agreements, there needs to be a valid reason for concern and modification. If you are faced with an ex spouse that is not following court orders, then this can put you in a very tricky situation. You most likely already feel anger and resentment and you could also be struggling financially because he or she is not keeping up with the court orders for alimony, child support and other payments.

It is a good idea to seek legal counsel to help fight on your behalf during this time. The divorce attorneys at Heimerl & Lammers can assist you with enforcement of court orders to ensure that you are getting what your settlement entitles you to have.

Failure to Pay Child Support / Alimony

It may be tempting to go over to your ex spouse’s house and demand that he or she starts paying. Unfortunately, this will usually not resolve anything and could end up harming you. It is important to understand that there are ways to ensure payments are made but you will need the assistance of a lawyer in order to get these issues resolved.

After you have gone through the complications of divorce you expect everything to be smooth sailing. You would expect to move on with your life and not have to deal with these financial issues anymore. However, this is not always the case. Failure to pay child support or alimony is a serious offense. Yet, without the proper court enforcement, there is little you can do about it. With the assistance of court enforcement you ex spouse will be forced to pay what he owes to you or else he may face:

  • Jail time
  • A loss of license and/or recreational license
  • An automatic deduction from his pay check each week
  • Cancellation of his bank accounts
  • Tax intercept recapture

Order For Protection Court Orders

If your ex spouse or ex partner is violating a restraining order or Order for Protection, then this is a criminal offense. You should not have to worry about when and where your ex will show up and this is why there is an OFP in place in the first place. If your ex spouse is violating an OFP or any other court enforced order, then contact our team for assistance in dealing with this issue once and for all.

Minnesota Divorce Lawyer

When you are faced with an ex that is not obeying the court order, then you may not know where to turn.  It might seem tempting to simply stake out his house and refuse to leave without the money but this will probably end up causing even more problems for you down the road. Speaking to the team at Heimerl & Lammers is your first step to court order enforcement, regardless of what the issue is. We are very familiar with the process and know what is involved in getting court orders enforced. If you need help with the enforcement of court orders from your divorce proceedings, contact a Minnesota divorce attorney at our firm today.