We’ve written a lot about child support orders, and the importance of following them. But do child support orders change if the mother or father moves to a different state?

In short, no – child support orders do not change if you or your ex moves to another state. There are numerous state and federal laws that exist to make it easy for states to coordinate child support orders when couples move.

Minnesota has adopted the Uniform Interstate Family Support Act (UIFSA), a law set up to make it possible for child support agencies in different states to cooperate with each other to establish and enforce child support orders. If the child support obligor has moved out of state and stops paying and the obligee has a verified address of the obligor in another state, Minnesota can ask the other state to enforce the order.


Related Sources: