Minnesota Bicycle Accident Lawyer
When most people think of bicycle accidents, they think of bicyclists simply wrecking and scraping their knees and elbows. However, this is not the cast most of the time. Most accidents that bicyclists have involve drivers. While collisions between vehicles and people on bicycles only accounts for 1/3 of all bicycle accidents, an encounter with a motor vehicle can lead to catastrophic injuries or death. A lot of times this has to do with the driver failing to yield for an individual on a bicycle.
The reality is that approximately 4 bicyclists are injured or killed on an annual basis and although that does not seem like a significant number, that is 4 people too many. Half of those killed are children under the age of 16 and it isn’t their fault. That’s when their parents seek the services of a Minnesota bicycle accident lawyer.
Types of Bicycle Accidents and Injuries
There are different types of accidents and different injuries can be sustained. Here are the types of bicycle accident injuries:
- Traumatic brain injury
- Spinal injury
- Coup and Countercoup head injury
- Tibia plateau fracture
- Burst fracture of the spine
- Trimalleolar fracture or broken ankle
- Permanent disability
The main causes of these injuries from bicycle accidents include:
- Drivers cutting off bicyclists by turning directly in front of them while the bicyclist is trying to go straight
- Entering the street from a parking lot or driveway without yielding to bicyclists
- Fails to yield for a bicyclist at an intersection with stop signs or signal lights
- Driving under the influence of alcohol or drugs
Yes, bicyclists need to stay alert on the streets of cities in Minnesota, but even the most alert bicyclist could find themselves severely injured in an accident that is the result of someone else’s negligence. There have been very experienced bicyclists enlisting the services of a Minnesota bicycle accident lawyer because they have been injured due to the carelessness of a driver.
Steps to Take for a Successful Claim
Choosing the right Minnesota bicycle accident attorney means the right steps being taken to create a strong claim. Those steps include:
- You seeing a doctor immediately, even if you feel fine at the moment. An underlying issue could cause great pain and suffering later.
- Your attorney will gather as much information as possible, including the names and numbers of witnesses.
- Letting your attorney talk on your behalf. You do not have to talk to insurance companies or anyone about your case. As a matter of fact, it is better if you not talk to anyone about your case.
Minnesota Bicycle Accident Attorney
Whether you need a St. Paul bicycle accident attorney or one in Minneapolis, we are here to help. Simply call 651-777-1811 or fill out the form on this page for your no-cost, no-obligation consultation. Although bicycle accidents do not happen often does not mean we don’t have the experience in such cases to make sure you are compensated the way you deserve to be compensated.